In Uganda, education is not free, on top of school fees, families must pay for uniforms, books, stationery and more. This is simply not feasible for many families in low income areas like the community of Katanga.
We currently run catch-up classes throughout the week, for the children whose parents can’t afford for them to go to school. All of the children we work with, either have never been to school or have been to school for a term or two. As a result we work with children who, for example, are 13, 14, 15 years old but intellectually they would go into a class of 5/6 years olds because they have had no real previous education. So we work with these children, getting them to a level where they are able to pass the entrance exams and enter school.
We have set up a sponsorship program to help our children move into a school in Kampala. The program is based on the premise that every child has a right to an education and a hope for a better future.
Sponsoring a child costs £20 per month and includes:
- School fees to enable them to attend school.
- School uniform including sports wear, shoe polish and a school bag.
- School essentials: pens, pencils, ruler, maths set etc.
- School lunch fees.
- An emergency medical fund to help pay for emergency hospital fees and other necessary items e.g. Mosquito nets.
- Sending letters to the sponsor.
What we at Hope for Life Katanga will continue to do with the children who are sponsored:
- The children will join us at our weekend reading and homework club where they will have the work space, the light and atmosphere to concentrate.
- As the child continues to attend the weekend reading and homework class, we will continue to assess how each child is getting on in and out of school life. As a result of this assessment we will be able to support them efficiently. This will also be a time they can write to the sponsor to tell you how they are getting on themselves.
Our child sponsorship program will hopefully only last 4 – 7 years per child (this does not mean you need to commit for this amount of time). This is because, alongside providing children with education, we will be training and resourcing the parents in money-making skills and money management so in the future they will be able to support their own children. Click here to find out more information on family work.
If you feel you are able to sponsor a child for £20 a month then please fill out the form below…